Important alert: (current site time 11/21/2014 6:35:15 PM EDT)

winzip icon

Live Update

Email
Submitted on: 5/27/2005 1:40:53 PM
By: Igor Krupitsky  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 8 Users
Compatibility: VB.NET
Views: 49089
author picture
(About the author)

This program will give your application the Live Update capability. It downloads and decompresses a zip file into the folder you specify. The project was inspired by two similar projects on the web: 1) Automatic Online Update Toolkit by thomasdev http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/Automatic_Online_Update.asp 2) Microsoft Updater Application Block http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/updaterv2.asp The program uses #ziplib by Mike Krueger http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Default.aspx

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 24 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

5/28/2005 10:13:13 PM

Hi! Nice work!!
Btw I was assigned to do something similar but I don't have any idea from where to start...
Specifically, I want to search in an access file (which exist in a remote computer) for the version and if the version is bigger than the version that it is installed (in the local computer), then the downloading phase must start and the existing program should be replaced. Then the live update program must open the new version of the program.
I want just to figure out how to do this with some simple lines of code (only what is needed).

I would be very thankful if you give me some hint or tips.

Thanks in advance,

Vassilis
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

5/28/2005 10:37:24 PMIgor Krupitsky

Vassilis,

You donít need to bother with keeping the version number in a database.

This program check the LastModified date of your file on the server and will you when the one on the server is newer then the one you have.

5/29/2005 7:05:57 AM

Thanks, I think your way it's better!

I have already checked the other programs that had inspired you and I believe you did a fantastic work!!!
I checked other similar programs, as well, and your program was the only one that I could run without having any major problem!!

I have also sent you an email via planetsourcecode telling you what my problem is, and I would be very grateful if you could just have a look.

Thanks

5/29/2005 12:30:52 PMIgor Krupitsky

If you MUST use the database you need to create a web service that will return the current version number of your app and consume this web service from your client application.

5/30/2005 4:50:49 AMPeter

Nice & clean. Good work.

12/7/2005 2:22:17 PMIvanM

I have main application witch is Server and i have Clients on my local network, but only server has access to internet and only he can update files, now the problem/question is how to transfer files from Server to Client ?

Anyway nice App you got there, what about license ?

12/7/2005 10:47:53 PMIgor Krupitsky

IvanM,

You might consider uploading the zip file to your server.

3/4/2006 9:41:01 AMolivier

Hi, it a very nice code, working good when compiling with visual studio 2003. But i have error when compiling with studio 2005 : Thread error on progressbar (not the initial thread), so the progressbar can't be updated after the transfer. I have try in vb.net and with C#, but in all case I have this problem.

Have you try to compile and run your code with the .net framework 2.0 ?

Thanks in advance
Olivier

3/4/2006 11:49:44 AMIgor Krupitsky

No, this code has not been tested with .net framework 2.0.

11/16/2006 1:50:42 AMasad

very very best tanks alot

12/12/2006 12:02:45 PMMuhammadUmair

Can you test this code with .NET 2.0 / vs2005 as I am getting thread error as mentioned by olivier. Error is "cross thread operation not valid"

1/7/2007 11:43:02 AMwizard

Firstly I'd like to say great code, exactly what I was looking for.
RE: VS2005 'Thread Error'.
I have upgraded the code in VS2005 and made it 'thread safe', I've also removed all references to 'DoEvent' which are not required in 2005 and cause an error.
It now seems to work fine, the upgraded code can be downloaded from:
http://wangi.eu/downloads/code/LiveUpdate.zip if anyone wants it.
Please note I have not touched or even tested the FileEncryption code as I don't intend to use it.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.