article

UPDATED: NTFS Data Streams: the true way to hide information and extend your file system

Email
Submitted on: 2/2/2015 8:19:00 PM
By: Ion Alex Ionescu (from psc cd)  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 76 Users
Compatibility: VB 4.0 (32-bit), VB 5.0, VB 6.0, VB Script
Views: 2074

11/10/2003: To celebrate my mother's birthday (to whom I shall dedicate this update to) I've decided to post a new version of the code. As posted in the recent article, all of the bugs and features that you have suggested have been implemented. Thank you very much for your comments! If you find any new bugs, please let me know! This article will teach you about a big secret of the NT File System (NTFS): Alternate Data Streams. First off, a brief history about ADS will be offered, followed by practical applications of data streams, with examples. Finally, explanations on how to protect yourself from the dangers (and what they are) of ADS. Full source code is included as well as a GUI for scanning your disk for ADS, as well as editing and viewing them (or creating new ones). As a bonus, there are two versions, one in pure API, and one using VB controls. Finally, you can integrate this app in a VBS script, with very little modification, for server maintenance.

This article has accompanying files

NTFS Alternate Data Streams (ADS)

What they are, and what they mean for you.

1. Introduction

To properly introduce the insertion of ADS support in NTFS, which started with Windows NT 3.1, we must first take a look in the Macintosh world. As some of you might know, Macintosh files do not generally have an extension. Yet, the OS is capable of recognizing who made the application and properly execute it (along with coloring the file based on your settings or other Mac features). This is possible because Macintosh files have two “forks”. The resource fork, which contains this information, and the data fork, which contains the executable code itself (as a side note, this has changed in Mac OS X). When Windows NT 3.1 came out, it had compatibility support for AppleTalk, meaning that NT and MacOS users could easily exchange data. This caused a problem however, since there was no way to copy the resource fork and the data fork of a file directly onto the NT file system. Doing so would only copy the data fork, since the resource fork wasn’t physically in the file, but in a separate stream. (In other words, the data and resource fork don’t occupy the same cluster on disk, or are part of the same contiguous file). Microsoft then had to implement NTFS ADS, which meant that NT would see the resource fork as another stream, and would be able to copy it along with the file onto a Macintosh computer. Extremely low-level and inaccessible by most APIs or programs, ADS didn’t become popular until much later.

2. The dawn of ADS

With Windows NT 4, ADS took on a more important place in the heart of the NT OS. NT 4 started supporting Hard Links (Hard Links is something from the Unix world, it’s the ability to logically “map” a file or folder to another one. For example, c:\mymusic\mp3\alex\rock\heavy\2002 can be mapped to C:\Heavy Rock 2002. While this seems much like a shortcut, a shortcut is an extra file that the Shell has to interpret. You cannot directly do file operations on a shortcut, and you can’t use it in the command prompt. A Hard Link is a “physical shortcut”.) and some anti-virus companies started writing checksums in a special ADS. However, no official API was made for Hard Links, and checksum ADS were really rare. This changed in Windows 2000.

3. The golden age of ADS

Windows 2000 brought a number of new features to NTFS, sparse files, summary information data, ACLs and the Encrypted File System, and an easy to use API to create hard links. All this information is stored in the ADS of a file. For example, right-clicking on a movie and going to properties allows you to enter information such as “Author, Keyword, Title”. This information is not written in the file itself, but in an ADS. Encrypting a file will also create a special ADS. Since ADS was becoming more known, some viruses are also known to exploit ADS. Why? Because Microsoft left a lot of holes in the implementation.

4. What’s an ADS anyways?

An alternate data stream, as mentioned in the introduction, is any kind of data that can be attached TO a file but not IN the file on an NTFS system. The Master File Table of the partition will contain a list of all the data streams that a file contains, and where their physical location on the disk is. Therefore, alternate data streams are not present in the file, but attached to it trough the file table. A typical file contains only a single data stream, called $DATA. This is the data contained in the file itself, and is not an ALTERNATE data stream, since it is the data stream itself.

The convention that Microsoft chose for file naming is the following: filename.extetsion:alternatedatastreamname:$DATA. When you open a file, by any normal means, you are therefore accessing the $DATA stream. Since there is no alternate data stream, the file system actually opens filename.extension::$DATA. If however this file had an alternate data stream called “joe”, and you wanted to open it, you would have to open filename.extension:joe:$DATA. I hope this is clear until now.

In the previous paragraphs, I mentioned that an ADS can store Hard Links, Encryption, Summary Information, etc. However, these are the uses that the OS has for an ADS. You, the user, can create an infinity of ADS for your own usage. Let’s see why this is useful.

5. What ADS mean for you

If you understood everything until now, you have noticed that ADS are not stored in the file itself. You might be asking yourself “if I store 1MB worth of text into an ADS of a file, will the file become 1MB bigger?” Here’s the great side about ADS…it won’t. Since the data is never stored in the file itself, the APIs to retrieve the size of the file will never take into account the ADS you might’ve added (or that the OS added). Just like Explorer will only display and open the $DATA data stream (the file itself), Explorer will only show the size of $DATA (the size of the file itself). Explorer is not exhibiting a bug; any application calling the normal Windows API will exhibit the same behavior. So what does this mean? It means you can store 2 Gigabytes of data into the ADS of an empty file and that the OS will display the file as empty. Opening this file with notepad will result in a blank text page, and even a hex editor would display the file as empty. The 2GB would however be shaved off your disk, and would you forget the existence of this ADS, only a reformat would reclaim your space.

6. Small summary

To review what we’ve learnt till now: An NTFS file is made of data streams. The main data stream, called $DATA is the file itself and can be opened, read, written or otherwise modified by any application. You will never see any mention of this data stream. The second type of data stream is called an alternate data stream, or ADS. Any kind of information can be stored in an ADS, and it will remain invisible to the user. The data will never be seen when opening the file, and the file size of the file will never change. An example of an OS-created ADS is the Summary Information you can write about a file. A user can create any number of ADS he wants and store whatever information inside.

7. Clarifications (practical example)

I mention that a user will not see an ADS, but that he can create them. I then say that an ADS will be invisible to the user…what is the point then? You must be wondering, and this chapter will offer an easy example so you can understand better. Suppose that you have hundreds of passwords on numerous sites. You share the computer with your roommate, who isn’t exactly a genius in computers, but would easily find “passwords.txt”, or even something more “subtle”. Here’s a trick, using ADS, that you can use. First, open notepad and paste some useless readme text. Save this file to c:\readme.txt. Now, click on the start menu, then press run, and type “notepad c:\readme.txt:passwords.txt”. Press OK. Notepad will ask if you want to create the file, since it’s empty. Of course, Notepad is actually referring to the data stream. Press OK, and then write down your passwords. Close Notepad, and save the file when it asks you. Now for the test. Open c:\readme.txt from explorer, or from Notepad or the Run command. You will see your original readme text, with no mention of your passwords. Check the file size in Explorer or DOS…it hasn’t changed. Now go back to the Run command, and type “notepad c:\readme.txt:passwords.txt”. Notepad will open your passwords. Now, assuming that you delete the Run previously-typed commands, your friend will never have the idea of entering that command. Even if he knew about ADS, how would he know which file you’ve stored it in, or what you’ve called your ADS? If you want, you can also try running “notepad c:\windows\explorer.exe:passwords.txt” and write your information there. Windows and Explorer will run fine, yet your passwords will be linked to explorer.exe. I don’t suggest you do that in this example, since the only way to delete the ADS is to delete the file itself (or use my program…)

8. Malicious usage

“So wait…if *I* can store hidden information on my own computer…can’t a hacker or a Trojan horse program store information or even executable code in ADS? Can’t a joker create a 5GB file on my computer without me ever finding out?” Unfortunately, the answer to all those questions is yes. Executable code can be placed in an ADS, and even executed, without ever touching the host program. That’s right… using API or the “Start” command in DOS, you can execute “Explorer.exe:Trojan.exe”. What this will do is execute the Trojan program, without Explorer ever running. To make matters worse, Windows 2000 displays “Explorer.exe” in Task Manager, not “Trojan.exe”. Thankfully, XP has fixed this horrible security bug. (but it still only shows explorer.exe:Trojan.exe…you could call the file something less conspicuous). This is NOT a tutorial on how to use ADS to hack, so I will not give any details on how to copy executable code or running it. Unfortunately, a Trojan might’ve already done that on your system, or a more computer-savvy “friend”. Here’s the good news: Using Kernel Native APIs and the Backup APIs, it is possible to rapidly seek out any ADS on your hard drive, as well as read/write to them, or delete them.

9. My program

The program attached is a fully working example, complete with comments about almost every line. It is written in pure API, so even the Form itself is created using API, not the Visual Basic Designer. I’ve done this for speed, and also to teach you a bit more about API controls. You can see in the screenshot that it doesn’t look bad at all. The application is split into modules, so if you simply want to include Stream functionality in your application, you can use the StreamModule.

10. Final notes

I greatly recommend compiling the application into a Native EXE for much faster speed. It should take less then two minutes to scan your whole disk (It takes me 30 seconds, but I have a fast CPU and HD so I’m estimating). If you find any suspicious ADS (you will be able to see their name) or huge sizes (you will also see the size), you can use the Open button to delete malicious ones, or simply to view/edit the ones you are wondering about. Finally, you can create your own ADS. For security reasons, my program only allows you to write clear-text ADS, not executable ones.

Enjoy! This is my first big article, so if you find it too hard to understand, please don’t hesitate to write your comment down. If you have any trouble, or any other comment, also feel free to write it. I will happily accept any criticism or ideas =) I’m only 17 years old so sorry if my English isn’t spotless (It’s my third language).

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

1. Why can’t the Message Box show executable streams?

As I said before, this project doesn’t support binary streams for security reasons. The module is very clearly written and you can always use different methods to display the buffer containing the data if you wish, after calling ViewStream.

2. Why are there two projects? What’s _NOAPI?

Because some people might just be interested in the StreamModule itself and the framework used to manipulate ADS, I have included a project made with VB’s designer and using OCX files that come with VB. This project has the suffix _NOAPI. While it’s meant for beginners, I strongly recommend even intermediate programmers to look at the API version. It’s much faster because of the list view and status bar being in API.

3. The _NOAPI version only contains a form with some code, and the StreamModule… why does it make a bigger EXE then the API version, which has 4 modules filled with code?

Just because VB’s designer hides the code for you doesn’t mean it’s there. My API implementation is faster and cleaner then what VB does in the background. And it needs no OCX files at all.

4. I am an advanced programmer or server admin, what are the advantages of using the API version?

Firstly, you will notice that the scanning is much faster (almost twice as fast), unless you remove the status bar refresh on each file (but then your application will look hung for two minutes). Secondly, the API version is 36kb, plus the 1MB VB6 runtime. The _NOAPI version is 40kb, plus the 1MB VB6 runtime, plus the comdlg32.ocx, plus the comctl32.ocx, all together totaling over 2MB.

Finally, using one of the many API-Call add-ons for VBScript, you can create an automated VBS file that will scan your server or active directory for any streams, based on your criteria, all while showing the same GUI as in my VB example, since it was all created in API.

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 8 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.