User Rating: By 49 Users
Compatibility: C++ (general), Microsoft Visual C++
Views: 2291

+ Creating ActiveX DLL's in VB (and compatability issues),
+ Creating DLL's in C++,
+ Using ActiveX DLL's in VB apps,
+ Using Non-ActiveX DLL's in VB app and C++ apps,
+ Loading DLL's DYNAMICALLY in both VB and C++ (Good for plug-ins),
+ Calling a function by a string (Good for scripting programs).

This article was written for alot of reasons. For one, I needed to learn how to load and use DLL's and get a better understanding of doing so. Another was because there are so many shxtty examples out there today it's not even funny. Plus I found ZERO information on most of the stuff I go over. Every tutorial I've seen on how to make a DLL covers making one, then using the 'Declare' statement to utilize them. Not any good for plug-ins. Plus, the other half of the tutorials didnt even work! Anyways, I wrote this to try and sum up all of the half-ass tutorials and the complex, cryptic information and fill in the non existant information. I try to explain as best as I can. I know there might be slight changes that have to be done in order for it to work with you, but so be it. Make them and write about it to teach others.

I hope that this gives everyone a better idea of how to use DLL's and add flexability to their applications/games.

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.