Important alert: (current site time 9/20/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT)

winzip icon

vkControls : 16 GRAPHICALS usercontrols ! NEVER SEEN before ! (update 4)

Email
Submitted on: 6/29/2007 7:17:04 PM
By: violent_ken  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 66 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 50266
author picture
(About the author)

Here are 16 VERY customizable graphical usercontrols (XP style by default). NO dependencies needed !! Each usercontrol is self-subclassed using ASM code !! Unicod support. Include vkCommand (the same that the XP one + icon, 6 different styles by default !), vkListBox (it is a very fast (4 seconds to add 100000 items !) "one-column-listview" with checkboxes, icons, different style for EACH item !, FileList, FolderList and DriveList options...), vkVScroll & vkHScroll (very customizable scroll with a high range : +- 4.10^14 !!), vkUpDown, vkToggleButton (vkCommand with the Value property), vkFrame (high customizable Frame with gradients, icon...), vkProgressBar (high number of properties !!), vkCheck (with transparency), vkOption (with transparency and auto-Group option wich automatically manage groups in different containers), vkLabel (border), vkScrollContainer (a vkFrame-like container with scrolls) and vkTextBox (a usercontrol based on a vbTextBox, but with new Scrolls, Legend zone, line numbers, new methods and properties... There are still some bugs concerning TextBox'HScroll). The three last controls are not really graphical usercontrols : vkTimer (new timer with APIs), vkMouseKeyEvents (wich allows to use ALL MISSING EVENTS (MouseLeave, MouseEnter, MiddleClick...) to ALL OF YOUR OWN usercontrols wich have hWnd properties !) and vkSysTray (allows to easily add multiples icons to the SysTray, manage to re-display the icons if explore.exe crashes by hooking 'TaskbarCreated' message !). There are still some little bugs in scrolls of vkListBox and vkTextBox, but sure you will enjoy this code !! Please vote for me ! (and sorry for my english : I'm french ^^).---------------UPDATE 5 JUNE : Now there is a clean package (just launch *.vbg project), high optimisations (when controls are loaded), lots of bugs fixed, new example...etc.---------------UPDATE 11 JUNE : Added two news controls (vkTextBox, vkSysTray), fixed bugs (black controls on W2K), new properties and methods.---------------UPDATE 17 JUNE : Added one new contol (vkScrollContainer), new properties (Pattern for ListBox, 6 default styles for vkCommand and vkToggleButton and some more), fixed some bugs, new example.---------------UPDATE 19 June : Fixed a LOT of bugs + added new properties (MouseHoverIcon...) + added Unicode support + now you can use shortcuts (with '&') + performance optimizations. There are still 2 major bugs : HScroll in vkTextBox and a blank area on the bottom of a vkListBox when VScroll.Value=VScroll.Max. I hope I'll fix it in the next update ;)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

6/4/2007 3:27:49 PMRussell Sanders

Nice Work. I haven't tested all but what I have seen is worth the five. Thanks for the post.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

6/4/2007 5:44:50 PMviolent_ken

How to test the project : 1) Launch vkUserControlsXP.vbp AND ADD clsFile.cls (ctrl+D) wich is located in OCX directory (clsFile.cls won't be loaded when you open the project, sorry for that) and compile the ocx 2) registrer the ocx 3) You can test it ! I will update regularely the code to fix bugs. Next update I will upload a package wich is easiest to test and without any bad reference. Thx ;)

6/5/2007 3:06:27 AMLight Templer

Salut Alain! Looks all very good, but your file "clsFile.cls" in ..\..\..\..\..\Documents and Settings\Admin\Bureau\12 OCX stylés XP\OCX is missing. Plz check your vbp files before uploading ;-) Regards LiTe

6/5/2007 3:40:49 AMMark

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

6/5/2007 6:40:28 AMJoaquin Marcher

wow, great job, i'll rate it, as soon, i gtg now =P

6/5/2007 6:47:08 AMenmity

1. wrong file include(clsFile.cls)

2. do NOT reference to the ocx file!

3. try to avoid using timers, and try to completely owner-draw, rather than adding image/lable items on the control.

6/5/2007 7:27:24 AMviolent_ken

Light Templer ==> Yeah, I'm sorry for that, next update I'll check it before I upload it... sorry.

But you can add manually clsFile.cls which is located in "OCX" directory (ctrl+D ==> add ==> clsFile.cls).

Thanks to all ;)
I'll update it in a few days to fix lots of bugs ^^

6/5/2007 1:14:49 PMviolent_ken

@enmity :
1) yeah, I know, sorry for that... 2) next update the package will be clean ;) 3) yeah, vkBar is not the best one (it uses 5 pictureboxes, I'll change it soon) but other controls do not use labels or other contols (except an Image, a light control, which contain bitmap). Timers are only used in Scroll/UpDown when you let your mouse down. But you're right, I should not use it.
Thx for the comments, I'll update it soon ;)

6/6/2007 11:39:32 AMAlin

rated: excelent ;)

6/6/2007 3:54:09 PMKenneth Buckmaster

Promising but...

I'm using W2K and half the controls didn't paint, were just black, till I moved the mouse over them.

- More importantly - you've assumed everyone uses small fonts. If you go to your dispay properties dialogue / advanced button and you'll see a drop down saying small fonts/large fonts other. Try your controls in large fonts.

6/7/2007 2:37:57 AMviolent_ken

@Kenneth Buckmaster :
- if some controls doesn't paint on W2K, you can remove "Case WM_PAINT : bNotOk = True" on the WindowProc of each usercontrol (please tell me wich controls doesn't paint).

-I'll try my controls with a large font to see if there is any problem. Thanks for the comment.

6/7/2007 11:38:37 AMHeriberto Mantilla Santamaria

I wait the update the first take bugs when I opened.

6/7/2007 11:42:04 AMKenneth Buckmaster

command button, vkhscroll, vktogglebutton, vkvscroll, vkupdown don't paint till the mouse is moved over. commented out that line for the command button and it didnt' make any difference.
You're vkbar doesn't paint at all.

They are all black in the IDE as well.

6/7/2007 5:30:35 PMviolent_ken

Heriberto Mantilla Santamaria ==> The update is available, now just open the *.vbg project and push F5 button ;) No bugs anymore, and sorry for the first release...

Kenneth Buckmaster ==> Thanks for this information. I'll try to find why my controls have this bad comportment under Windows 2000.

6/8/2007 11:32:31 AMMasino Sinaga

Nice work! I have tried it in WinXP SP2 and it works good. No bugs find. So far so good, and five globes from me for your big effort. Keep up the good work, especially with another control (StatusBar, ListView, TreeView, etc). ;-)

6/8/2007 5:06:54 PMviolent_ken

Thanks !!

Concerning the bug (black controls), it is not specific to W2k and it happens rarely. I found the bug, it will be fixed in the next update.

6/8/2007 9:41:55 PMHeriberto Mantilla Santamaria

All control's are black in the IDLE, when I run the vkBar is black too :(, need check out the probag properties.

Anyway is a good first release.

6/10/2007 12:04:58 PMviolent_ken

Thanks for voting !
I'm preparing a new version wich includes two new controls : vkSysTray (wich support crashes of explorer.exe) and vTextBox.
And I've fixed the bug of the black controls.

Thanks again for voting ^^

6/11/2007 3:20:12 AMGopal Veeranala

Thank you gr8 work, me too voted 5

6/12/2007 4:21:36 PMVBtutor

Very nice ... Thanx 4 sharing (5*)

6/13/2007 7:08:17 AMPaul Turcksin

Couldn't run previous downloads = not impressed.
The Launch ME worked perfectly = Happy AND much impressed by what I've seen.
End result as well as the clear and well commented code. Thanks for this pearl. 5/5

6/14/2007 12:33:07 PMKerry

looks fine and excelent work....

6/14/2007 5:41:02 PMviolent_ken

Thanks for the comments ;)

6/18/2007 10:56:59 AMTuanHai

5 stars for this activex collection.

I think the scrollbar in listbox work not well due to:
- the thumb wont change size when number of item increase/decrease
- When you drag the thumb down to the last item, the listbox is blank (it should be the last page appear)

If possible, you can add Unicode enabled feature to all this control (refer to other unicode controls here in PSC).

And, please change all comments in to english so anyone can understand the code.

Thanks for great stuff!

6/18/2007 11:11:01 AMmahesh Kurmi

Every control seems to be 100% accurate technically.Since some problems remaining black can be easily removed so you should't be blamed for that.
I think this is one of the best submission on PSC. GREAT JOB DONE!
Thanks for sharing.......

6/18/2007 1:44:17 PMviolent_ken

Thanks a lot for your comments !

TuanHai ==> the thumb don't change size, I know, but there is a property for that (ScrollWidth/Height). But I could add the possibility to auto-change the size, that would be better.

"When you drag the thumb down to the last item..." ==> Yes you're totally right, this is a known bug, I'll try to fix it soon ;)

Concerning Unicode, yeah this is a good idea, I'll add it in a few days (weeks ?)

Concerning my comments in french... yeah, I know it isn't really a good thing, but as I've began to do it so... But if I find enough time, I may will translate it ;)

mahesh Kurmi ==> Thanks to you !

6/19/2007 9:48:17 AMMarcel Jules Rymenhout

Fantastic 5 globes from me just wondering if it would be possible to make these transparent.

6/19/2007 11:38:48 AMstarwork

NICE ^-^

6/20/2007 3:04:26 PMviolent_ken

Marcel Jules Rymenhout ==> What do you mean by "transparent" ?

Something like that : http://www.vbfrance.com/codes_image/normal/19387.aspx (alpha transparency) ? If so, this is not an easy thing to do ^^

Or simply a Transparent properties (like the BackStyle Property : BackStyle=0) ?

Thx for all comments ;)

Next update I'll fix some bugs and I'll try to add Unicode support in a few days.
And I've found an easy way to improve performances ;)

6/20/2007 3:44:20 PMNoName

How about adding a colored listview?

6/21/2007 9:33:16 AMviolent_ken

Wow ! Create a totally new vkLitView won't be easy...

But as a ListView IS a vkListBox with more than one column, I think it will be possible...

I'll think about it, and if I'm able to do it, I'll do it ;)

6/21/2007 10:32:13 AMTuanHai

As I remember that Lavolpe in PSC have code about "alpha transparency".

Cant wait for the update with Unicode and bugs fixed.
More things for you about Unicode: http://www.unicodeactivex.com/

Love you!

6/21/2007 2:51:47 PMviolent_ken

Bugs fixed ==> next update I'll try to fix all the bugs concerning Scrolls (in vkTextBox, vkListBox, and vkVScroll/vkHScroll itself) and some other bugs I've found.

And I've made some performance improvements : I use some new APIs, for example I display color gradient without VB-routines but with GradientFillRect.

Concerning Unicode, I've never coded anything about that, so I'll have to learn how to do ;) I'll try to do it soon !

I'm thinking about vkListView too, and I'll try to find some examples about alpha transparency... but next update I'll fix bugs, then I'll try to add Unicode support, and then... I'll see ;)

Thanks for your interest !

6/24/2007 4:03:43 PMRichard Mewett

Nice work Alain - have ***** from me :)

6/26/2007 2:58:24 AMRuturaaj

There is some problem with CheckBox. It's not only when it's used as CheckBox, I faced it for CheckBox in List, too. When the Checkbox (and Radio button, too) placed on Form and it does not have focus, then if I click on the Caption text of these controls, control does not toggle its state. Moreover, I observed that control even does not get focus when I click on the Caption text of these control in not-in-focus state. In case of Checkbox in List, if I double click the List item, I expected the Check box to toggle its state, it didn't happen that way. Am I missing something? If no then please consider these issues as Bugs. Let me know if you fail to reproduce the issues I mentioned above at your end. I haven't seen the code yet, I will try my best to locate the cause of these issues, too. Thanks for sharing your quality code.

6/26/2007 3:03:57 AMRuturaaj

FYI: The compiled control size (1.5MB) was reduced to just 255KB by UPX without any compromise on performance. For using this control in redistributable applications, I think it's better to pass it to UPX before preparing Production stage version of application! ;-)

6/26/2007 4:39:34 AMviolent_ken

Hello,

you're right, the Checkbox in vkListBox should toggle its state if you double click on an item. I'll fix it in the new version.

Concerning ChekBoxes and OptionButtons, in fact it is not really a bug, but I know it. The controls can take focus if you click on the caption, but there is a condition : if the BackStyle is not transparent, then there isn't any problem. But if the BackStyle is transparent, you have to click exactly on the caption (not between the letters, but exactly on a colored pixel of the caption).
I know it's a problem, but as the area between the letters are not part of the control (it is because of the transparent BackStyle), if you click on it, it is not the control wich take focus.

Thanks.

6/29/2007 7:38:34 PMviolent_ken

Here is a new update : I've fixed some bugs, I've added some functions and now you can write Unicode chars in all vkControls (except .Text property of vkTextBox) ^^

6/29/2007 11:31:25 PMEd Wilk

Very nice, especially like the flexibility of the vkListBox control, but found one small problem, if you add items and use the bar to scroll down (instead of arrow) you can go past the end of the list and looks empty.

Keep up the great work!!!

6/30/2007 8:39:28 AMDaniel S

BUG - If you set the textbox scrollbars to 'both', the line numbering on the legend on the left hand side doesnt work.

Other than that, great work!

6/30/2007 12:17:05 PMhai2hai

@violent_ken: Please give me your email, I'll send you the code of Unicode textbox and some suggested useful textbox's properties.

7/1/2007 12:49:08 AMHeriberto Mantilla Santamaria

Run slow and take some bugs still.

7/1/2007 5:27:02 PMviolent_ken

Ed Wilk ==> Yes I know, and I've managed to fix this bug just after I updated this source, so it will be OK in the next update !

Daniel S ==> Yes, the scolls' gestion in vkTextBox isn't perfect, there are still some bugs and I'll try do fix it as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting.

hai2hai ==> Thanks !

Heriberto Mantilla Santamaria ==>
- "run slow" : yes, but if you compile the vkUserControlsXP.vbp project and use my controls with a compiled OCX, it won't be so slow. And the test form contains a lot of controls...
- "some bugs still" : please tell me wich one if you want I fix it ! ;)

Thanks to all ^^

7/2/2007 4:01:36 AMDriss HANIB

Hi VIOLENT KEN

Your controls seems to be good but I have problem with VB6 - Win 98
An unexpected error raise on line
Set Me.Picture = .ReadProperty("Picture", Nothing) in vkFrame ctl.

Salut VIOLENT KEN
je te lis également sur VB FRANCE.
Je te posais la question car j'ai un problème sur vkFrame.ctl
j'ai une erreur 50003 "erreur inattendue" sur la ligne ci-dessus lorsque je veux exécuter ton prog.
je suis sur Win 98
merci

7/2/2007 4:04:47 AMAnish

Just MAD.. CRAZY>> LOTTA HARD WORK IN THIS .... i PERSONALLY THANK YOU DUDE

7/3/2007 2:10:51 PMpietro ing. cecchi

thank you, my dear ken, for the unicode support...:)

merci, mon cher Ken, de l'unicode...:)

7/6/2007 5:15:21 PMThraka

Looks pretty good. Can it imitate the current theme of windows xp\vista?

7/11/2007 9:16:05 PMpeterjack

very good! *****

7/18/2007 11:02:07 AMUmberto

Great job!! Can you verify why changing forecolor at runtime on a textbox doesn't work ?

7/26/2007 3:28:59 AMsal

Sorry me, but have error runtime 50003 in:
Set Me.Picture = .ReadProperty("Picture", Nothing)
possible causes?
Tks.

7/26/2007 9:13:34 PMweLch M.

Great Job! 5 stars from me!

7/27/2007 8:18:32 AMviolent_ken

Thraka ==> vkCommand and vkToggleButton have a "XP Style" property, but if you want my other controls to be like XP controls, you have to set your own colors/properties.

Umberto ==> I'll fix it, thanks.

sal ==> Yes, you should use "Set vkCommand.Picture =Form1.Picture" (for example) and not "vkCommand.Picture = Form1.Picture".

Thanks to all !

7/30/2007 3:26:49 PMThraka

Ken, thanks for the reply. What I mean is to automatically use the current theme in windows. It is nice to have the ability to skin your app to what you want it to, but a lot of users like to have the applications use the theme used by the operating system. So my comment is really not to do the style of XP but to use whatever XP is using for themes.

8/1/2007 4:31:48 AMJorgen Levesen

Hi there,
Tanks for your great effort - looks very impresive. I can not get the class module cPrinTvw to work properly, was it possible for you to mail me a short example using this module ? Thanks in advance.
Jorgen

8/1/2007 11:24:48 PMAlijsh

Thanks. Especially for unicode.

8/4/2007 4:59:33 PMviolent_ken

Thraka ==> Yes, I understand what you meant, but for now it is not possible to do as some controls can't take the XP style.

Jorgen Levesen ==> Wow, there isn't any module called cPrinTvw ??

Alijsh ==> Thanks for your comment ^^

8/9/2007 10:40:57 PMKM@studio

OH .... coooooooool code thank

8/13/2007 11:54:04 AMBill

Very nice! I really hope you keep the updates and bug fixes coming in. Finally found a set of controls I wanna use!

8/17/2007 1:46:44 AMWealthocode Tech.

Great code, althought I am having some problems with the listbox. I cannot get the vklistbox to populate a textbox. For normal Vb controls I would use this code :

Dim i As Integer

If list1.ListIndex = -1 Then Exit Sub

For i = list1.ListCount - 1 To 0 Step -1

If list1.Selected(i) = True Then

Text1.Text = list1.Item(i)

End If

Next i

End Sub

so I am basicly looking for a substitute or what I would do in this case.

9/7/2007 1:49:24 AMShiv Kumar

Thanks for the code..but when i install my application (designed using this control)on Windows Vista, it shows that the VkUSercontrolsXP.ocx is not correctly registered or a file is missing...can you describe it? Is it not supported to Vista?

please help me i want to run my appliaction on VISTA also..!

mail me at rahul.kul@iitsol.com
Thakns & Regards!

3/7/2008 8:40:36 AMBlueRose

Really very good job, thanks for sharing.

I wanted to use just chekbox and optionbutton seperately in a single custom control, adjusted the code for this and it was seem that was workking well, but when i closed the running application on close button the VB IDE is crashed, why is this happining?

3/26/2008 12:50:43 PMktchris

5 from me too, excellent code.
By the way, I have found a bug with the vkCommand. I noticed it when a I used a vkCommand as an open button (call a CommonDialog.ShowOpen method). If it happens and your mouse falls over the vkCommand after you selected the file the Click event is called a second time.

7/13/2008 3:14:29 PMArtur Löwen

Best Controls ever seen PERFECT
5 Stars =)

9/24/2008 3:25:09 AMmoreh

this control is wow! problem comes when u deploy your application on windows vista, the control doesn't load. any updated one?

9/30/2008 5:49:51 AMvietteiv

5 star from me, thanks for your support

7/12/2009 9:59:58 PM

Great.

7/26/2009 10:58:37 PMEddie Bole

Some really nice looking controls. I'm very impressed.

I'm wanting to add some side bar functionallity to the text box with the logo on the left side, such that when you click on the logo the text box slides out and when you click the logo the text box slides in again.
9/10 score from me. Fantastic.

8/20/2009 8:23:02 PMjim sie

thanks how to use your permission to use this xp style?? please permit me/... thanks

8/23/2009 9:03:40 AMviolent_ken

Hi,
This piece of work is under GNU LGPL (Lesser General Public License) 2.0. So you can use it as you wish if you respect the terms of the GNU LGPL 2.0 (see license.txt for details).

1/15/2010 8:00:46 PMEngles

Great component,Thank you very much.
How can I combine vkDown and vkTxet to create a new control like NumericUpdown ,I try to use many mothod but alway fail

10/20/2010 2:30:33 AMchris

awesome code, although i get the feeling that most people are here to copy code, not learn from it.. c'mon guys, ctrl+f is "find" , so find what you're looking for in the code and trace it back to your problem. at least figure out what line is giving you trouble..

3/7/2011 1:43:56 PMSYAMSURI

how to use indivual control?

3/8/2011 12:48:11 PMSYAMSURI

how about combobox

11/28/2011 9:45:28 AMUFO

doesn't work on win7

10/5/2012 4:54:57 AMmohammed salih

it is very good control and highly appreciated the work , but I have small request for the frame and container back style,one more option has to be added transparent without control transparent

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.