winzip icon

NanoVB6 - A fully portable VB6 version (only ~5MB!)

Email
Submitted on: 2/21/2015 5:50:00 AM
By: c0rt3x (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 9 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 54038

NanoVB6 is a very compact VB6 version which is smaller than 5 MB when compressed. It is furthermore fully portable - so that it can be run from a usb stick or on BartPE.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

9/8/2015 10:20:03 AMKeith

I've only just tried NanoVB6 out but it all seems to work great.
I've been using the portable VB6 "portabilized" by Adilou for some years, but yours avoids the awkward startup screen.
Also the Adilou one makes a new VB6 folder every time you start it up, so if you make a list box for example, its path is very long-winded and different every time. Every now and again you have clean out all the spurious folders! Yours just runs in the folder it's stored in like the original VB6.
NanoVB also found the list of previous VB6 projects I'd been working on and opened them no trouble!
The biggest drag is that, like the Adilou version, there's no Help file. Any chance of scoring a copy of that?
I don't want to knock the Adilou effort; I've done an awful lot of good work with just that, but yours will make things a LOT easier. Thanks!

(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

3/14/2016 2:44:47 PMJan

I tried nanoVB6 on applications running on Win 7/64 OS with excellent results.

I have tried it also with a few apps running on Win XP and the results are different. I am able to run the apps in the IDE just fine, but the Make App.exe is always grey-ed out, so I am not able to compile after I make a change get an executable.

Normally when you select Project>Properties from the main menu it opens a window with 5 tabs: General, Make, Compile, Component and Debugging. nanoVB6 in XP shows only the General tab.

Is there somebody that has better results with nanoVB running XP, or maybe someone has a suggestion?
It would be very much appreciated since I have more than 60 applications under XP that I support and nanoVB6 would improve our troubleshooting and making small changes way less complicated.

Thanks for a beneficial tool that makes my life supporting VB6 apps on Win 7 already a lot better.

If nanoVB6 could do a similar job on Win XP that would be fantastic!

Jan

4/2/2016 2:09:56 AMMatt

Awesome! Before I used thinapp to accomplish this but was less than satisfactory. Only issue I had with this is that it still doesn't work on computers without admin access because of the COM dlls that it uses and tries to register. I found that can be fixed by doing regfree com using manifest files.... it's a little trick but I was able to do it with a tool called ' Side by Side Manifest Maker ' and it solves the issue.

1/23/2017 2:50:00 AMnoel

Hi Matt, please give me some tips in using side by side manifest. My OS is win8.1 64bit, I have a problem in registering DLL and even OCX file.

Thank you!

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.