Important alert: (current site time 9/1/2014 9:30:20 PM EDT)

winzip icon

Intelligence Design Lab

Email
Submitted on: 11/22/2011 5:26:39 PM
By: Gary Gaulin 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 11 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 10576
(About the author)

This next generation Intelligence Generator (also on Planet Source Code) computer model is (as per Occam’s Razor) made to be as simple as possible to reduce all that is happening in a complex biological circuit of an intelligent living thing to what is most important to understand about the way self-learning intelligence works, in this case a compound eye insect. The program provides a precise and testable operational definition for “intelligence” where taking all sensors out of memory addressing demonstrates "protointelligence", while clicking out its Red Green Blue vision subsystems from both confidence and memory renders it completely “unintelligent” in which case it only expresses Brownian motion type random behavior. The computer model also provides a precise, testable and scientifically useful operational definition for "intelligent cause" where each of the three emergent levels can be individually modeled, with a model predicted to be possible that generates an intelligent causation event, now goal of further research and challenge for all. Applying this model to biology shows advantages of a two lobed brain over a single lobe that would have to be much larger to control the same amount of sensory input. This model also provides insight into the origin of life, intelligence, and mechanisms that produces new species including human which was found to be systematically the primary result of good-guess chromosome speciation from fusion of two ancestral chromosomes which created our second largest. The code is useful for game engines and other applications that require virtual intelligence, is relatively well commented, has on-screen tool-tip-text, and 30 pages of referenced documentation.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 4 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

11/23/2011 1:56:04 AMDave Carter

Thanks Gary, this is excellent :D
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

11/23/2011 10:06:01 AMPaul Bahlawan

WOW!! That is awsomeness.

11/24/2011 6:33:28 AMaarslan1

Congratulations Gary, excellent work. Will dive into it, when i'll get time. 5 Globes.

12/5/2011 6:28:08 PMGary Gaulin

Thanks for great compliments!

Next is a subsystem for touch/taste to feel around with the mouth. Far goal of producing intelligent causation event requires virtual stem cells and such. In case there are volunteers!

Multiple entities at a time added with array element on variables needed to represent each, although a modern PC cannot run large numbers really needed for emergence experiments. Does not require great biological detail just behavior to self-organize a functional system that begins to cycle plus store memories and all that indicates it’s intelligent, it’s alive! :D

Hopefully it remains useful and challenging with those able to make good use of it. So with thanks for awesomely letting me know it’s where the right-stuff are, my best to you for your future experiments.

1/8/2012 5:43:00 AMbobghengiskhan

I know I am new to this site but really, I don't get it. Whilst I have no major issues with the code itself, the 30 page "documentation" (besides for some reason being supplied twice) seems to contain pages and pages of material that bear no obvious relationship to the program itself. And worse, makes it appear as if the publication of the code itself has more to do with some kind of pro Intelligent Design agenda (though not in any form that the Discovery Institute or its advocates would recognise, I am sure) than anything else.

For this reason, I feel that I must downgrade something that otherwise might be at least average.

1/11/2012 8:16:13 AMGary Gaulin

BobGhengisKhan you’re only here to bully a biology based computer model because of its included biology based theory, that’s only useless to someone with no interest in coding these biological models. Serious code must account for chromosome speciation (as in humans) and all else mentioned.

As far as science is concerned it’s historic to prove that a once believed impossible theory is scientifically possible. Better that than get stuck behind a science-stopper, thinking small instead of big, while those not interested in this talk about a long ago conquered Discovery Institute and half a globe you chopped off the Intelligence Design Lab.

Your damage to the once 5 globe rating is obscured by a gold emblem from being honored by real peers with the Planet Source Code "Superior Coding Contest Winner" Award for Visual Basic. I’m proud and thankful to this way be judged in a community, I did write all this for, where what matters is usefulness to others, not your politics…

1/12/2012 4:00:34 AMbobghengiskhan

Perhaps Gary, you should take a moment to consider how it reflects upon you when you respond to an honest opinion with absurd claims of bullying. If it is not acceptable to you to receive negative feedback from time to time, presenting your work on such a public forum may not be for you. But then, a little more research into yourself via Google suggests that this is pretty much standard operating procedure so I am no longer surprised.

And if what you dare offering is a scientific "theory" of such earth shattering importance, perhaps it would be appropriate to present it to the scientific community? Just a thought.

1/13/2012 1:05:00 AMGary Gaulin

I don’t need your permission to update a 5 globe since 2008 model, or its theory that makes many other models possible. My first responsibility was to the computer science community found here, who only had that to work from.

I had source code to publish, not lab research results. Print publishers expect featured software be at appropriate download site. Major science journal article is now in writing.

Before submitting for more formal Planet Source Code peer review required for publishing, I found civil and constructive informal review at ScienceForums.Net that further improved it:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/61424-intelligence-design-lab-computer-mod el-theory/

Instead
of your fairly crediting years of seeking useful review by moving around the web (while contacting scientists it may concern) for one of the most reviewed theories of them all, you like a bully called attention to your demeaning statements to claim the opposite is true.

1/13/2012 2:30:56 PMbobghengiskhan

Whatever you say Gary. But it is notable that in addition to responding to criticism with claims of bullying, you seem intent on keeping a "scientific theory" that deals with biology as far away from biologists as possible,

Anyway, I have said my piece and seen how you respond to criticism with insult, rather than a reasoned and rational rebuttal. Clearly your work was not worthy of my time and I stand by my score. Good day to you.

3/25/2013 4:57:34 PMPatrick A. Rice

This project initially peeked my interest. I thought it would be an artificial life simulator or genetic algorithm, but it turned out to be something completely different. This appears to be some sort of Intelligent Design propaganda, that anti-science movement that used to be called Creation Science. However, the documentation is virtually impossible to decipher. It was either written by a person who's native language was not English or the text itself was generated by some sort of computer program created to output a random jumble of buzzwords. The source itself looks kind of like a very basic hill climbing algorithm. I guess the author intentionally did not implement a genetic algorithm as evolution theory is what the creation science movement is against. Planet Source Code should remove this submission since it's just propaganda.

4/6/2013 5:36:33 PMGary Gaulin

Patrick, this model is based on David L. Heiserman from "How to Build Your Own Self-Programming Robot" TAB Books 1979, and block-flow diagram for the human brain described by Arnold Trehub in "The Cognitive Brain", MIT Press 1991, Chapter 9, Page 158, Fig 9.3

I am now completing a highly modular next-generation model with mouth sensilla for sense of touch/taste for food, and antenna/flagellum sensilla for sense of touch/smell, along with new illustrations and improved text to help explain how this works.

Since this is for the most part an original model that’s based on others there is a great deal of study and experimentation required to piece it all together. For the latest documentation see http://theoryofid.blogspot.com/

I'm solving the problem by doing the most scientific thing possible, which is to follow the evidence wherever it leads from the premise of the Theory of Intelligent Design. The model you see taking shape here is the future of ID, not its sordid past.

9/21/2013 5:44:43 PMEuropean good man

Thanks Gary, this is excellent ! It is obvious that five of the votes are malicious.

11/12/2013 2:03:54 PMR. Pierce

It is a pity PSC does not vet its submissions because this VB program is merely a cover for G.Gaulin to promote his 'theory' - an unintelligible 50 page document with which he has spent the last 6 years trolling any internet forum he could find.

5/26/2014 1:27:35 PMCharles Aguiar

I have been programming for 37 years. This code is excellent.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.