Important alert: (current site time 7/25/2014 7:03:03 AM EDT)

winzip icon

IRC Client (Simple IRC Client)(UPDATED)

Email
Submitted on: 5/7/2012 1:54:41 PM
By: ident  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: Unrated
Compatibility: VB.NET
Views: 7564
author picture
(About the author)

A basic IRC client that connects to a specified server and then joins a channel. Handles limited IRC events such as JOIN, PART & PRIVMSG. Demonstrates a basic understanding on how to split the server response into readable information. Also sends an IDENT response to the server on connecting which no other IRC example on planet source does. For any questions please contact ident@simplecoders.com If you download somebody's work please take the time to rate the source. Constructive feed back helps the community learn. * Now updated. Quite a few methods are more aimed at beginners so i felt i let that get sloppy. A few slight adjustments.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 7 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

1/31/2012 3:22:29 PMident

I released this because i felt all IRC client examples where to swamped in code to allow a new programmer to see the basics of how the connection works or that the connection did not even listen to the server it was connecting to.
Current features are connecting, sending the IDENT response back to the server speeding up connection time, basic handling of evnts. This should allow any new programmer to quickly grasp how to handle IRC server events. Can also switch from how and client should look to RAW server data.
One of the main reasons i left it so basic was because new programmers like to keep an existing project and work up from that. Copying and pasting is not programming but i feel a new programmer can keep this base and build up from that with out to much hassle or using an already written client.

The client can be viewed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-rGFF9YQ8&context=C32ad497ADOEgsToPDskKqHB_Pk4SqI83hEyq FxjF2

(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

3/25/2012 11:47:16 AMAnoym

Hi
iam cant connect to a server ...
why ?

3/25/2012 12:19:54 PMAnoym

iam cant connect to a server
why ?

3/26/2012 1:11:14 PMident

Hello annon. Asking why you can not connect provides me with no information. Do you get any exceptions? Have you modified the code in any way? Is the server address valid?

Information.... The more the better. Because right now you have provided me with nothing.

Sam

3/27/2012 1:38:52 PMAnoym

No, I have changed nothing.
I use the server irc.gimp.ca
When I click connect I get an error message with the content "Disconnected"
I also use the correct port for
and error because unfortunately I can not even find me ever since I've programmed IRC
ICQ Uin for faster Talk : 5784468

3/29/2012 5:41:20 PMident

What is the exception thrown? The server connects fine so it is some thing your end. Are you running a firewall? Or an AV that you can disable? This is likely the cause since you will need to add an exception since we send an IDENT. With no firewall windows will ask you to keep blocking or un block. But i bet your FW stops this.

Feel free to email me at ident@simplecoders.com for faster responses.

1/13/2014 6:49:02 PMMiklo

IDENT, you are a trully amazing Developer! You have been a very awesome and helpfull person towards me and those who knows you in the developing worlds! Said From a good friend on VBFORUMS who you have helped several times! God bless and keep up your amazing work!

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.